Friday, 11 September 2015

I wish I knew how to quit you.

I want to preface this by saying that I don't actually hate Games Workshop.   
Now that's been said... 
Sometimes, they are beyond infuriating to me.  
I started playing tabletop games because of them - who I am, the fact that I like war games and even the fact I run a club is all in part down to them. 
But over the years, bits and pieces have fallen away.  
I've gone from using only GW products and playing their games, almost exclusively... To only playing one of their games - 40k.  
And I don't use ANY of their products with it, either.   
Literally they only get money from me for the rulebook, my Codex for the only army I do, and my purchasing of new toy soldiers is rare these days, as I play other games that eat into my time and funds, also.  

I sit there some days, looking at their latest price hike, or the jump in price for a re-release kit because it now has more nonsense bits that are going to do nothing but sit in the bits box and make the kit more expensive in the first place, viewing their latest stupidly overpowered unit or combination of units and I kind of... ask myself what I'm still doing here. 
Why am I still part of this game? So much about it is infuriating and unfair, there are so many other cool games that're just as good, and cheaper too.  
 Is it.. that I feel sorry for them? Like that one popular kid you sort of knew in school who got into an accident and had the smarts knocked out of them from it?  
Maybe. But I doubt it.
Is it first love? You know, that one fantastic summer that won't ever be like that again, and they aren't the same now, but you remember and you hope?
Maybe. But I don't think that's it either.


I think what I love is the universe. The races and the character.  
Sure, for the most part it's derivative as fuck, even in a court when they tried to defend themselves they got told that everything is vague, derivative and they can't protect it...  
But they did it in another way. While it's grim-dark, there is amusement to some of it. Part of what I enjoy is the derivatives in a way. 
It's their take on the same old cliches that make them memorable.  

And I can't leave that behind.
Not yet. 
Try as I might, as many amazing games as I discover, I can't find a way to quit and leave this behind. I'm not sure I ever will - even if GW goes out of business, the universe still exists.  
Sure, if they 'Age of Sigmar' 40k, it might put me off, but the old world is still there for me to remember and it'll be that I remember them for, even if they finally drive me off.  

I still wish I knew how to quit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment